Friday, May 20, 2011

Trench Level 2

Last Saturday (May 14th) we started the second level of the trench only to find out that we may have mis-measured during the first week. Oops! The problem is that its really difficult to level the line from the SW to the SE corner because of the slope of the hill and the distance of (5meters) and the short nails. So basically, to get the line high enough on the lower lever then the nail would be out of the ground and unsecured. So what to do? What to do?

The only option at the time is to measure the second level at 10-20 cm at the best of our ability and keep on truckin'. First thing next week though, I am bringing some supplies to fix the problem and we will double check to make sure that we measured the depth correctly.

Besides that though, we were able to extract some pretty amazing things. We uncovered still more bones, large pieces as well as an almost complete vertebrae. I am hoping that in the next level we will be able to uncover additional large bones that might help indicate what animal it was. Pictures to come soon!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I really laughed about that!
    Because the trench was larger than the control units, I assume that more "cool" things would be discovered from our only trench. To the contrary, CU3 (control unit #3, which was my original unit) collected and recorded the more. Obviously, it was not a race nor a competition but I still felt excited to just get out there and FIND!

    But the good thing is that your group noticed the error in calculation and took the time to go back and correct it before you continued onward.


Feel free to comment on what you see & read here!