We found quite a few surface artifacts when we were clearing the area of grass and detritus before measuring out the boundaries. We piled them up to include with the other artifacts found in the 0 - 10 cm level. Some folks might just see a big pile o' rocks, but we students over at DSCQHR are Smart and see pieces of red tile, molded glass, and fired brick fragments.
Later in the afternoon, we were joined by Stephen, Jamie and Kristen. We had more people digging than screening, so I wandered back down to the gardening shed to see if there were any more 1/4" screens. There weren't any of the large screens left, but I found this darling, single-person screen. It's made out of an old desk drawer! This was my view for the rest of the afternoon: